The Condor Insider

The Student News Site of California High School

The Condor Insider

The Condor Insider

Fall Play-The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

This year’s Fall Play was The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon! This comedic play was based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. A troupe of actors came together to *attempt* a portrayal of all 209 fairy tales. It was a wild adventure with stories ranging from a deal with the devil, a hungry with in Hansel and Gretel, a romantic frog, a talking fish, sassy feminist dwarves, the devil’s grandmother, and Cinderella told with the help of an exhausted actor. The guides throughout this play were two bickering narrators, who weren’t afraid to put their own spin on your grandma’s fairy tale. 

I had the opportunity to get up close and personal with cast, here’s what they had to say:

Why did you join the Fall Play?

Little Red Ridding Hood, played by senior Arianna Moreno, answered first, “Acting is something I want to purse in life and I’ve been acting since sixth grade so, why not.”

Nikolai Santos added on,”I’ve always loved theater in the sense of family and community, I loved seeing everyone put their all into the show and have it be great at the end.”

Kassidy Alfaro, a senior, plays the girl as she fights the talking fish. She shared why she joined the fall play. “I’ve never been a part of a play. I wanted to try it out, especially since it’s my senior year.” Adding on with a special memory she has,” it’s a good feeling when you’re waiting behind the curtain and waiting for your scene to come up.”

The people who worked behind the curtain and help run the whole show was tech crew. Adriana Hernandez, a freshman techie, let me in on how she’s been feeling about the show,”I’m glad I got to help out and be involved. It was very good and I’m glad I got to meet all these amazing people.”

Best known for his role as Hansel, Jesse Franco described the show’s process,“It’s been a rollercoaster. I’ve never really committed so hard to something. It’s been really amazing to see how everyone is backstage and on stage. It’s just been a completely different experience than what I expected.”

“It’s been pretty good so I’m pumped up for the play. Rehearsals, with everyone practicing lines and having fun. It has been really good.” (Joseph Suchite, Sophomore)

(Joseph Suchite, the prince, riding the horse, Jesse Franco)

The audience reviews are in and Emily Huerta, a junior, speaks for the group.

“My favorite scenes were the ones where the narrators came out and engaged with the crowd, because it really helped enhance the experience. Overall, i thought the play was amazing, as it exceeded all my expectations and made me and my friends laugh so much.” 

Sounds like a success! Great job Condors!