The Condor Insider

The Student News Site of California High School

The Condor Insider

The Condor Insider

How Old is Too Old to Keep Believing in Santa?

Now that the holidays are around the corner, this question starts to arise, as siblings, cousins, and friends are growing up over the years. But first, let’s briefly track down the origins of Santa Claus.

According to HISTORY.com, “The legend of Santa Claus can be traced back hundreds of years to a monk named St. Nicholas.” Apparently he was a Christian monk who lived in the 3rd century A.D., in what is present-day Turkey! But over the years, he has evolved into this legendary man from the North Pole that drops off gifts to well-behaved kiddos for Christmas.

We know that Santa Claus has been established as the face of Christmas for many years now, but the real question is: when is it too old to be believing in him? Experts say that around the age of 7 to 11, the cognitive development of children makes believing more difficult. This information suggests that once children start thinking more logically and pop the question if Santa is real, then that is probably a good time to tell them the truth.

A Junior Condor that preferred to remain anonymous pitched in that “It’s never too late to believe, but I feel like most kids around third or fourth grade start to doubt if Santa is real”

Well, whether or not you celebrate Christmas or believe in Santa Claus, I wish you a wonderful Winter break, and stay safe!