The Condor Insider

The Student News Site of California High School

The Condor Insider

The Condor Insider

Dogs or Cats?

Having trouble deciding whether you should get a cat or a dog? Well look no further because this article can help you decide exactly that. 

Reasons to own a cat: 

Cats are more independent compared to other animals and are less time-consuming. They don’t require constant attention and tend to be less work. Cats don’t cause as much ruckus and are generally quiet animals. They won’t make any unnecessary noise if they don’t need to communicate with you. Cats are generally cleaner than dogs and can groom themselves with ease. It’s also much easier to clean out a cat’s litter box than it is to have to take a dog on a walk, in hopes of it pooping.  Unlike dogs, cats do not need to be taken on a walk and can entertain themselves. You won’t have to go out of your way to make a schedule to walk your cat. With cats there is also no need to buy extravagant toys in order to keep them entertained. In all, they are more affordable, you won’t have to find any cat sitters or have to constantly replace ruined toys. Cats have predatory instincts and will be able to get rid of any pests that may be infesting your house. It’s not hard to see that cats are also very cute and charming, they can be very funny as well. Cats are usually seen as very insensitive and aloof, yet they can be just as friendly as dogs, they’re memeable for a reason. Though cats would make great pets, it is still important to keep in mind that they still have their flaws. Cats do tend to be less affectionate and won’t obey your commands as much as dogs. You also have to be prepared to find yourself covered in scratches most of the time.

Reasons to own a dog:

Dogs are a go-to for cuddles. After a long day, there’s nothing better than snuggling up with a pup to make you feel better. They are there for you when you feel down, and they always pick you right back up with their kisses. Their unconditional love is very therapeutic and benefits your well-being.  A dog will always be with you by your side. There’s a reason why dogs are always referred to as “man’s best friend.” Your dog will always have your back and protect you if you’re ever in trouble. There are so many fun activities that you can do with your dog. You can play fetch, go on a walk, play tug of war, and even have a howling contest with your dog. These activities not only help your dog, but they also help you stay active. Dogs provide a lot of assistance, for example they can be trained to be service dogs. Service dogs assist people with many forms of disabilities, especially as emotional support dogs and seeing eye dogs. Putting all of their positives aside, dogs have their own flaws to look out for. Dogs will definitely be more high maintenance and needy, and they will make messes around the house. But don’t let this taint your view on them, they are still very loveable creatures.

In the end, it all depends on your personal lifestyle and how much time you can dedicate to being a pet owner. Not one pet is better than the other because it all comes from one’s opinion, rather than the actual superiority of cats or dogs. There are still many people out there that can see the beauty of both pets. Sophomore, Valeria Delgadillo states, “I don’t really have a preference because they’re both cute animals and are very different”. This statement shows that both animals have favorable aspects to them and that they also have flaws. You should get the pet that you believe would best fit you and enjoy having a friend that will stay by your side.