The Condor Insider

The Student News Site of California High School

The Condor Insider

The Condor Insider

Comedy Sportz!

(4/06/24)
Comedy Sportz!

Some of the most well known television shows, such as The Office, Friends, and Seinfeld, include scenes of improvisation. Improvisation, often referred to as improv,  is a theatrical technique in which actors make up lines or expressions on the spot; their actions are unrehearsed. 

Cal High students have the opportunity to put this technique into practice through ComedySportz, a competitive improv club which hosts games for its members (and sometimes teachers) to participate in. A game consists of two teams who have been “enemies for ages”: the Red Team and the Blue Team. These two teams face off in improvisational games against each other to score points. The team with the most points wins. While ComedySportz utilizes a point system like many athletic sports, ComedySportz games are filled with great humor that leave their audience falling out of their seats with laughter.  

ComedySportz is unscripted, leaving almost complete creative control to its participants (there are some guidelines to ensure appropriateness). ComedySportz members must be able to think quickly; thus, each team is carefully crafted. Each team is directed by Mr. Nguyen (the club advisor), its team captain, and its team manager. Additionally, ComedySportz games have a unique environment as the actors are often given suggestions from the audience.  

Hades Nunez expanded on this, saying, “I think what audiences like seeing is how creative we are. We’ll make up scenarios out of thin air with the suggestions they came up with and that is always a crazy thing to witness.”

ComedySportz allows its audience to experience improv up close, in a way that’s both comical and interactive. It gives the opportunity for friends and family to share hours of laughter while watching passionate students express themselves.

This expression is what senior member Noa Larios finds so special about ComedySportz. He says, “you get to see students come out of their comfort zones on the stage and play all these different characters and emotions.”

Lorelai Dumas, one team captain, has grown tremendously from being a part of ComedySportz; she says, “I learned so much about acting, improv, storytelling, and communication from being on the team.”

Similarly, Amy Merris noted how impactful ComedySportz has been for her personally: “Being in ComedySportz has helped me be more comfortable with myself and not afraid to do things silly or go outside my comfort zone.” She also added, “It has shown me what true dedication and acceptance is and has given me so many close relationships that push me to be my purest self.”