The Condor Insider

The Student News Site of California High School

The Condor Insider

The Condor Insider

A Sanctuary of Self Expression: Cal High’s Fashion Club

At the start of this school year, junior Wesley Guzman, alongside a creative cabinet, re-established Cal High’s fashion club. 

Fashion Club explores a variety of topics, from the history of fashion to the latest trends. While it has a strong emphasis on self-expression through clothes and style, its underlying purpose is to establish an open-minded community. 

Guzman’s goal when reinventing fashion club was to create a safe place for students to express themselves; he says, “I wanted to make sure that it was something that was open to everyone and not niche. There are so many different people that walk into our club and that’s exactly why this club is unique!” 

Senior Vice President Justine Alvarez also noted that Fashion Club frequently “hosts fun activities for all members to come together,” allowing members to bond and experience the strong community that Fashion Club has created (their meetings are hosted in room C-5).

Just as trends outlive their creators, Guzman wishes for Fashion Club to leave a lasting impact: “Our ambitions as a club is to have this club be a staple in the culture of Cal High. Even beyond our years attending here, we are hoping that this club exceeds our expectations.”

Alvarez has similar aspirations; she shares, “Our goal is to build a diverse community that appreciates fashion and to foster individual expression within Cal High. This means a great detail to our cabinet and we hope to see you here soon!”