The Condor Insider

The Student News Site of California High School

The Condor Insider

The Condor Insider

The 2024 Dance Concert “Prism”

(4/20/24)
The 2024 Dance Concert Prism

The Cal High Dance Program will host its annual Dance Concert tonight, showcasing all of the Cal High dancers. This year’s theme is “Prism” which expresses a world of color. The Dance Concert will also feature a thirteen-minute ballet based on Disney’s Inside Out

Mrs. Fetrow, one Cal High dance teacher, invested much time into her students and their preparation for this concert. She shares: “I have a passion for giving students an opportunity to experience dancing. Most of them do not have a way to dance outside of school. I love dancing and have been dancing since I was two, so this is something I want others to have the opportunity to do.”

Another Cal High dance teacher, Mrs. Hood, has recently increased her involvement in the dance program. She currently teaches Dance 1; this is the first dance class that she has taught since the Covid-19 pandemic hit. 

Hood says, “I missed working with the dancers from covid until this year. It has been fun but a little overwhelming trying to get back up to speed with how we run the program–the changes to the music software, stereo equipment, and costume ordering.”

Together, Mrs. Fetrow and Mrs. Hood choreographed the majority of dances that will be shown tonight. Mrs. Fetrow noted how special it is that she got to collaborate with Mrs. Hood saying “that doesn’t happen a lot.”

Hood’s favorite genre included in the show is tap; she says, “I enjoy the combination of movement and sound that accentuates the beats of the music.”

In contrast, Fetrow enjoys the “Production Lyrical” and “the Inside Out Ballet.” She explains why the ballet is so unique and meaningful to her: “Telling a story through dance, without words, is a challenge, but all of the dancers have worked extra hard to really give their movement that story. The principals have worked extremely hard to really allow their ‘emotions’ of the character to show through their dancing and expressions. This movie was a favorite of a colleague of mine that passed away a few years ago, so it reminds me of her.”

The Dance Program also contains a performance group called “PG Luminescence.” One member of PG Luminescence, Bridgette, says, “I joined dance my freshman year because I’ve always loved to dance. I enjoy getting to learn all about dance history and being able to have the opportunity to do every dance genre.”

Another member, Micaela, shares: “Dance has always been a part of my life, since the age of seven. I love the community that you create with the other dancers and that we all share a passion.”

Cal High’s Dance Program worked long and hard to perfect their choreography and movements leading up to this annual concert. The Dance Concert is sure to be an expression of color, emotion, and the heart that its dancers put into it.